What time is it?
Time to share more original poetry!
This one is really light-hearted and cute. I have been fond of novels about animals in personified forms. I love seeing a mouse in a coat. A pig that makes friends. A rabbit that understands others. A dog that knows his owner. Even though it is just fantasy, it reminds me of how precious animals are and how fun it is to imagine. This poem personifies some forest creatures and is one of my personal favorites.
Being the book dragon I am here is a list of some of my favorite stories with animals. I will add the main animals as well.
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White – pig and spider
- Stuart Little by E.B. White – mouse
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien – mice and rats (surprise!)
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo – mouse
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo – dog
- Redwall by Brian Jacques – mice but a host of other creatures
- Sounder by William H. Armstrong – dog
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis – There are many talking animals in Narnia. Some of my favorites are Aslan (lion) (and all the Narnia fans said, “Duh!”), who is found in all 7 of the books and Reepicheep (mouse), who is found in books 4, 5, and 7.
- Call of the Wild by Jack London – dog
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor – dog
- Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka – large bug.
- Don’t let the fact that it is about an insect make you not read it. This story makes you think about the definition of humanity, transformation, and how love and life changes over time. I don’t want to spoil it but TRUST ME it is worth it.
- Animal Farm by George Orwell – pigs (and other farm animals)
- It seems like a macabre and humorous story but then you recognize that it just explained communism…
Some of you might be asking where is Where the Red Fern Grows? I am sorry to say…I haven’t read it. But my fellow book dragon and Godsister recently lent it to me with the promise that it is wonderful. Maybe you guys will see a book review in the future…
And now the moment you have all been waiting for!
The Forest Visit
The sputtering Jeep zoomed down the dirt road
In a forest where many hares called it their humble abode
The rickety blue vehicle frightened every animal in sight
Til the driver turned the key with a little of his might
Wild animals, prey and predator, stopped to look
At the unfamiliar human who gave them quite a shook
Was he their gate to the realm unknown
The realm of humans, the realm no wild creature felt at home
But he scampered and drove off as quickly as he came
They did not know his purpose or even his name
Their hopes now shattered like precious glass
All they wanted was a friend, a friend at last
But like the wind blew in the forest time and time again
This was the end of their adventure just as quickly as it began.
What are some of your favorite animal related stories or poems? Share in the comments below!
~ Kenedy M.